Harassed by Debt Collection Law-firm Cohen & Slamowitz, LLP in New York or New Jersey?
- March 28, 2014
- No comments
By: Robert J. Nahoum
Cohen & Slamowitz, LLP is an infamous debt collection law-firm representing a creditor or debt buyer. Debt buyers buy up portfolios of old debt from banks, credit card companies, hospitals, doctors, cell phone companies and car companies for pennies on the dollar. The debt buyers then try to collect the full amount from consumers, plus interest, penalties, late fees, overdraft fees, attorney’s fees and whatever other kinds of fees they can dream up.
Cohen & Slamowitz, LLP regularly makes debt collection phone calls from (800) 293-6006 and is located at:
199 Crossways Park Dr.
Woodbury, NY 11797
While Cohen & Slamowitz, LLP is a law-firm, in reality they are more like a glorified collection agency using the courts as a debt collection tool. Once a judgment is obtained, law-firm debt collectors like Cohen & Slamowitz, LLP can freeze bank accounts, garnishee wages and issue subpoenas.
Law-firm debt collectors like Cohen & Slamowitz, LLP employ few attorneys but many debt collection agents. In fact, if you call them, you will not speak with an attorney, you will speak with a debt collection agent who is probably being paid a commission for any money he or she collects from you.
Accusations against collection debt collectors like Cohen & Slamowitz, LLP include
- Harassing consumer over the phone,
- Misleading consumers about the character, amount or legal status of the debt
- Communicating with consumers who demanded that communications cease and desist,
- Suing consumers in the wrong court,
- The collection of any amount (including any interest and penalties) unless that amount is expressly authorized by the agreement creating the debt or permitted by law.
- Without the consumer’s consent, communicating with any person other than you or your attorney in connection with the collection of a debt.
- Calling consumers before 8 am or after 9 pm.
- Calling consumers an unreasonable number of times.
- Using profane or other abusive language.
If Cohen & Slamowitz, LLP has been harassing you, consider hiring a qualified attorney experienced in debt defense and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. If a debt buyer like Cohen & Slamowitz, LLP violates the FDCPA, you can sue it for statutory damages up to $1,000.00 plus actual damages (like pain and suffering) and your attorney’s fees. In FDCPA cases, most good consumer lawyers don’t charge their clients a penny out of pocket.
The Law Offices of Robert J. Nahoum, P.C