By:Â Robert J. Nahoum
Asset Acceptance, LLC is an infamous collection agency and debt buyer, buying up portfolios of old debt from banks, credit card companies, hospitals, doctors, cell phone companies and car companies for pennies on the dollar. Â The debt buyers then try to collect the full amount from consumers, plus interest, penalties, late fees, overdraft fees, attorneyâ€™s fees and whatever other kinds of fees they can dream up.
Asset Acceptance, LLC regularly makes debt collection phone calls from (800) 545-9931 and is located at:
28405 Van Dyke Avenue
Warren, Michigan 48903.
Asset Acceptance, LLC is a mega corporation in the debt buying industry, publicly traded on the NASDAQ under ticker symbol AACC.Â In March, 2013, the already giant debt buyer announced that it would be getting even bigger by acquiring one of its publicly traded competitors, Encore Capital (also traded on the NASDAQ under ticker symbol ECPG.)
Asset Acceptance, LLC has been routinely accused of violating federal debt collection laws known as the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and is sued regularly by consumers for these violations.Â The FDCPA is a federal law that regulates the collection of consumer debts. It prohibits third party debt collectors from using false, misleading, deceptive and harassing debt collection tactics.
Accusations against collection agencies like Asset Acceptance, LLC include
- Harassing consumer over the phone,
- Misleading consumers about the character, amount or legal status of the debt
- Communicating with consumers who demanded that communications cease and desist,
- Suing consumers in the wrong court,
- The collection of any amount (including any interest and penalties) unless that amount is expressly authorized by the agreement creating the debt or permitted by law.
- Without the consumerâ€™s consent, communicating with any person other than you or your attorney in connection with the collection of a debt.
- Calling consumers before 8 am or after 9 pm.
- Calling consumers an unreasonable number of times.
- Using profane or other abusive language.
If Asset Acceptance, LLC has been harassing you consider hiring a qualified attorney experienced in debt defense and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.Â If a debt buyer like Asset Acceptance, LLC violates the FDCPA, you can sue it for statutory damages up to $1,000.00 plus actual damages (like pain and suffering) and your attorneyâ€™s fees.Â In FDCPA cases, most good consumer lawyers donâ€™t charge their clients a penny out of pocket.
The Law Offices of Robert J. Nahoum, P.C