By: Robert J. Nahoum
Three scenarios might have led you this article:
- You have just been notified by your bank that your account has been frozen because there is a debt collection judgment against you. You call the bank to find out what’s going on and are told to speak some law-firm called Tromberg, Morris and Poulin, PLLC.
- You’ve received a notice from your County Sheriff or a New York City Marshall that your wages will be garnisheed because there is a debt collection judgment against you. You call the Sheriff’s office to find out what’s going on and are told to speak some law-firm called Tromberg, Morris and Poulin, PLLC.
- A process server has shown up to your home to deliver a summons and complaint or you’ve come home to find a summons and complaint taped to your door? Turns out, you’re being sued by law-firm called Tromberg, Morris and Poulin, PLLC.
WHO IS TROMBERG, MORRIS AND POULIN, PLLC?:
Tromberg, Morris and Poulin, PLLC is a Florida based law firm that has established a Nationwide consumer debt collection practice. Tromberg, Morris and Poulin, PLLC is located at 1515 South Federal Hwy, Suite 100,Boca Raton, FL 33432 with New York offices located at 39 Broadway, Suite 1250, New York, New York, 10006.
Tromberg, Morris and Poulin, PLLC, LLP represents some of the most prolific and infamous junk debt buyers including
- Cavalry SPV I, LLC,
- Midland Funding LLC,
- JH Portfolio Debt Equities, LLC, Credit Corp Solutions Inc.,
- LVNV Funding LLC,
- Crown Asset Management, LLC.
- Gemini Capital Group, LLC
- LR Credit LLC
- North Star Capital Acquisitions LLC
- Palisades Collection
- Rushmore Recoveries
- Winthrop Capital LLC
Law-firm debt collectors like Tromberg, Morris and Poulin, PLLC employ few attorneys but many non-attorney debt collection agents. In fact, if you call them, you will not speak with an attorney, you will speak with a debt collection agent who is probably being paid a commission for any money he or she collects from you.
Tromberg, Morris and Poulin, PLLC and many of its clients are sued regularly by consumers for violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). The FDCPA is a federal law that regulates the collection of consumer debts. It precludes third party debt collectors from using false, misleading, deceptive and harassing debt collection tactics. If a debt buyer or its attorney violates the FDCPA, you can sue for statutory damages up to $1,000.00 plus actual damages (like pain and suffering) and your attorney’s fees.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
The reason you are just learning of the judgment now is that you were probably never served properly with the court papers many years ago when the lawsuit was first filed. New York laws require that when a debt collection lawsuit is filed, a process server must deliver the lawsuit to you or someone at your home. The process server signs an affidavit saying that they delivered the papers to you (usually by the “nail and mail” method where they supposedly post the papers to the door of your home and then mail you a copy). In reality, the process server probably never delivered the papers to you at all (called “sewer service”) and so you never knew about the case.
Fortunately, New York courts have recognized that default judgments are highly questionable particularly due to the pervasiveness of sewer service. For this reason, it is pretty uncomplicated to have the default judgment reversed or “vacated” as it is called. To do so, you must make a motion to the court called an “order to show cause” to vacate the default judgment.
If Tromberg, Morris and Poulin, PLLC is enforcing a default judgment against you, consider hiring a qualified attorney experienced in debt defense. As with all debt defense cases, a good debt defense lawyer analyzes debt collection cases to determine if any violations of the FDCPA have occurred.
If you need help settling or defending a debt collection law suit, stopping harassing debt collectors or suing a debt collector, contact us today to see what we can do for you. With office located in the Brooklyn and Rockland County, the Law Offices of Robert J. Nahoum defends consumers in debt collection cases throughout the Tristate area including New Jersey.
The Law Offices of Robert J. Nahoum, P.C